Travel: a day in Paris (and a Gucci belt)

a day in Paris: Le Marais
 outfit: beret: Galeries Lafayette - sweater: c/o Vero Moda - military coat: Zara - handbag: Kate Spade - pearl embellished skirt: c/o Shein - sneakers: Vans

Hey babes! My love and I took a much needed break this weekend to go on an impromptu trip to my favourite city: Paris! I had been dreaming of visiting the city around Christmastime to experience its festive loveliness, and I am happy to say that I made that dream come true. On Sunday we spent way too much time on our feet (my legs are still sore from all that walking) exploring Le Marais, a part of the Louvre and Galeries Lafayette. My lovely boyfriend only complained a little when I asked him to take a billion pictures (Paris is Instagram gold, y'all) so sit back and get those scrolling fingers ready!

a day in Paris: Le Marais

This adorable little street was just around the corner from our beautiful Airbnb apartment, I just love those typical Parisian backstreets and the golden morning light! And of course, the Seine is right around the bend! Can you spot the Eiffel tower in the distance?
a day in Paris: the banks of the Seine
a day in Paris: the banks of the Seine
a day in Paris: the banks of the Seine
a day in Paris: the banks of the Seine

If you go down to the banks of the Seine, the noise of traffic immediately dies down and you're left with the morning joggers and the people walking their dogs. Perfect spot to sit down and enjoy the beauty around you.

We slowly made our way to the Louvre, which I desperately wanted to visit. It was my first time at the Louvre, and since the place is so vast we probably explored about 1/20th in the two or three hours we spent there. Overwhelming and amazing! I decided to focus on the Roman, Greek and Egyptian antiquities, but we also squeezed in some of its 18th century decorative arts gallery.
visiting the Louvre

I am really feeling all things red lately. Christmastime in Paris does that to a woman! Also, how cute is this pearl embellished skirt? It's only $17 at Shein, get it before it's gone!

visiting the Louvre
visiting the Louvre
visiting the Louvre
visiting the Louvre
visiting the Louvre
visiting the Louvre

After walking our butts off, it was time for some sustenance before walking all the way up to the Galeries Lafayette. I had mulled wine with cinnamon and crêpes Suzette - SO good.

Christmas in Paris
Christmas in Paris
Christmas in Paris

I don't remember where I took this picture, but isn't it amazing that there is such elegant beauty wherever you look in Paris? This was just some hotel bar. Also stunning: the Academie Nationale de Musique! There were some students playing a bigband version of Abba on the steps in front of the building. Magical.

Christmas in Paris

And then we were at the mecca of Parisian Christmas festivities: Galeries Lafayette! The place was crowded as hell and the escalators weren't working properly, but seeing the decorations, visiting Gucci and seeing the glittering Eiffel tower from the rooftop terrace made it all worth the trouble.

Christmas in Paris
Christmas in Paris (and a Gucci belt)

Oh yeah btw, I bought a Gucci belt. The most expensive thing I ever bought for myself, but I had been dreaming of one for at least half a year and I figured I deserved to treat myself after finishing my PhD. It's SO pretty! A total blogger cliché, but some things are a cliché because they're just that delightful. Like Christmas.

Christmas in Paris
Christmas in Paris
Christmas in Paris

When we finally made our way outside, the night had fallen over the city and we marveled at the decorations that almost made us forget about the long walk ahead. A quick stop at the Christmas market near centre Pompidou was in order. Can't resist churros.

Christmas in Paris
Christmas in Paris

A perfect day if I may say so myself! Hope you enjoyed the travel report ;-)

No comments